People often believe that pain pills are safe if doctors prescribe them, but pain pills are the most misused class of drug. They are the most often reported in treatment facilities, and the most associated with death by overdose.
- Pain pills are implicated in 75% of deaths by overdose.
- Over 110 Americans die each day from overdose.
- People who “doctor shop” account for 30% of these deaths.
- Opioid Use Disorders cost the US government over $55,000,000,000 a year. Intentional and unintentional injuries, accidents, diseases, deaths, loss of function, loss of employment and incarceration are among the list of contributors that had to this tremendous economic burden.
- Less than 10% of people who fit the diagnosis for Opioid Use Disorder seek treatment.